6/20/2012

Back to Basics

Hello All! I know I've been M.I.A for a couple of weeks, and I can feel myself falling into a pattern. Write a few blogs, forget about it for a while...Whoops! Realize I haven't written in a week or two....write a few blogs, forget about it for a while....you get the picture.

Anyway, to get back into the swing of things, I thought I would share with you all my revelation from the weekend. 

Is it just me, or does the fashion world seem to be more "trendy" now than ever? And I don't mean, "Oh shoot, that girl is so trendy!" I mean...there are so many trends...too many really. Prints, neons, cropped shirts, colored denim,  color blocking, tribal prints, pastels, floral prints.....is your head spinning yet?!

As I was cleaning out my closet this weekend (which was very eye opening by the way) I realized that all of these "trends" don't make for a substantial wardrobe. I mean, next summer am I really going to wear tribal print jean sorts? Probably not. Cropped tee's and tanks? I'm not sure why this is a trend in the first place, but you are more than likely not going to be caught dead in that next year when the hem lines are long again. So why are we spending all of this money on these trendy, one season, trying-to-be-something-we're-not, fashions? 

What happened to building a wardrobe around the "basics" and getting creative with those items? Where did the good ole' days of dressing up with your accessories go? As I rummaged through my disaster of a closet, I realized that I was about to take hundreds of dollars of "last years trends" to Goodwill....and my bank account cried.

Let's get back to basics people! Start building a better wardrobe. I'm not saying give up on all trends entirely, but have the basics to back it up! If you want to buy neon pink denim, go for it! But make sure you have the perfect plain white tee to pair with it and a great leather jacket to carry them into the fall! All I'm saying is, if we spent more money on buying basic, quality clothing, we would get much more bank for our buck!

Here's a checklist to get you started....


** you can get the original PDF by visiting InStyle **

so roll up the sleeves on your sheer button-down, oversized pocket, high-low hem line blouse, and start purging all of your too-trendy clothes. Let's face it, as much as we would all like to live at Coachella 24/7, 365, it's just not going to happen. And even though Pinterest does provide an abundance of inspiration for us to pretend we are fashion icons, the truth is that, the sexiest look is a simple v-neck tee and the perfect fitting jeans.

back to basics



**have fun**  **drink responsibly**  **look stylish**


No comments:

Post a Comment